Saturday, April 2, 2011

Show me the $

If anybody wants to get rich in 20 or 30 years...invest in hearing aids.
Not a day goes by that I don't hear a new song on the bus. Oh its not on the radio, mind you. Its often coming from the person sitting next to me, or maybe near me, on the bus. But occasionally...occasionally it comes from someone sitting far too far away. The music is just far too loud.

And I don't mean the "I'm an old man so turn down that racket", type of loud. I mean  the "hey, you're going to have significant hearing loss throughout 50-75% of lifetime if you keep that up". What really kills me is when people will say, 'well I have to have it this loud because I can't hear it otherwise"...my response: "guess why you can't hear it? Now multiply that by a factor of x number of years and you have a perfect recipe for the permanent hearing loss.

Not all of these people will develop hearing loss. Most won't. My guess is, most of them will get sick of Justin Bieber or Katy Perry, and Jazz music just doesn't sound as good when it hurts. But for the ones who do, I really do hate to say it, but I told you so.

Oh and so did the Canadian Hearing Society, and the Public Health Agency of Canada. So there.

Comment!

4 comments:

  1. That's rough, eh. You can sound like a broken record telling people to turn down their music over and over again, but they don't take it seriously. I'm guessing this is analogous to smoking, where it provides pleasure in the present and the negative health effects don't manifest until decades later. And we all know that teens are more stuck in the present than the future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, you're right, the Canadian Hearing Society is working hard to educate people on the effects of loud music. Here in the Soo, staff of CHS are going into the schools and educating elementary school kids about how damage done by the use of loud music is irreversible. They're hoping that reaching the kids at an early age may prevent future hearing loss.

    Uncle Kenny says the thing he misses most since becoming deaf four hears ago....is music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the education in the schools works, but has there been any attempt to educate parents on the issue? I feel like many young people, around my age and younger, too often live in the here and now.

    Targeting elementary school children is probably better than targeting an older age group though...young children seem to understand these things better than teens (I should know- I recently was one!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never turn my music up more than half way. :( It hurts my ears. . .

    ReplyDelete