Saturday, January 22, 2011

Careers in Health

I just got back from the careers in health presentation, put on by the students and faculty of Health Sciences. I think it reinforced and removed some of the impressions that I have about grad studies.

I'm not longer interested in the MSc. health systems. I had always considered the MHA because I thought it would be a better fit for me- and it sounds like it is. It requires 3 years of work experience, but I learned that management experience on the canal during university will contribute to those three years. MHA...perhaps.

I think I recieved some useful tips from the faculty of medicine as well. I should hear back about an interview in the next week or so. It will be nice to hear back from the faculty about an interview so that I can resume my life- it feels like it has been on hold ever since I applied.

Most importantly, today I learned that my feelings about the health care system are shared by several of the role models of the faculty, including the dean, vice-dean, and others. As I have said before, there is more to health care than doctors and nurses...this notion was reinforced today.

An interesting point was made by the presentation's keynote speaker. She quoted CIHI data and told us that helping very few sick people (as medicine does) does not actually contribute to the health of a society, but that making small changes to the daily lives of millions of people (as public health does) can have a profound impact on the health of a society. I am interested in this concept of societal health...this may be one that I have to look outside the classroom to find the answers to.

Enjoy my thoughts, and Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment